At ICS, we recognize that our students need to function and succeed in the global, networked modern world. We are committed to providing a variety of technology tools empowering students to create, collaborate and learn.
We believe that technology is a tool that should:
- enable students to learn in more active and individualized ways
- assist teachers in differentiating instruction and creating complex, rich learning experiences
- facilitate communication throughout the community
- help improve productivity and efficiency in the school offices and classrooms
As the technology infrastructure of Ethiopia grows and expands, we look forward to similarly growing and expanding our network and connectivity to the rest of the world. It's an exciting time at ICS!
The technology program at ICS is designed to develop our student’s skills in using a wide variety of tools to learn, create, collaborate and contribute. We structure technology lessons to be integrated with other areas of the curriculum, and create learning opportunities for students that allow them to use their skills holistically.
- Tech Curriculum
- Elementary School Program
- Middle School Program
- High School Program
- Responsible Use Policy / BYOD
Our technology program sets high standards for students. We use the following internationally recognized standards:
- ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) National Educational Technology Standards for Students,
- CSTA (Computer Science Teacher Association) K-12 Standards for Computer Science
Technology instruction is integrated with other subjects, so specific instructional times may vary from grade to grade and year to year, but the IT teachers and Technology Instruction Coaches at ICS track student skills and progress to ensure that students learn effective and advanced skills.
In addition, opportunities for students to learn after school and at home are continually being explored and promoted. After-school activities, independent study courses, and online distance learning activities are a part of our program as well as class instruction.
In the Middle School, the use of technology is fully integrated into the academic subjects. Students use computers with their English, Math, Science or other classes. Subject area teachers work with the students and the IT Department to ensure that students learn and practice skills in using various hardware and software.
In addition, several Middle School elective Computing classes are offered:
- Computer Science
- Web development
In all high school classes, academic subject teachers will require students to use computers to perform tasks specific to the subject. Teachers work with students and the IT department to ensure that students learn the skills they need to function effectively in a high-tech environment.
We currently offer two High School electives in Computing:
- Introduction to Programming: An beginners' computer programming course. Students learn to program using Processing (a version of Java).
- Applications Development: Students learn to create applications that can run on any operating system - for computers or mobile devices.
We also offer the IB Diploma Computer Science course, a 2-year course for grades 11 and 12. Some students in grades 11 and 12 study the subject in a non-IB Computer Science one or two-year program.
After-school activities include robotics and other technology-based activities. In addition, we have several student-led initiatives including a Month of Programming, a Mobile Phone Hackerspace, and more.
We strive to provide a wide variety of tools to all members of the community and support the diversity of our campus. We have multiple computer platforms in school (Macintosh, Windows, Linux) and support a variety of computers and related hardware. We welcome school community members onto our network, and encourage responsible use of ICS facilities by all members of our community.
To see our Responsible Use Policy...
To see our Laptop Policy...
- For Bring Your Own Device in HS, HERE